Passionate about Data Viz?Join us for the 2nd bi-annual Viz Cup, bringing together the finest vizzers of the Bay Area for a night of competition and fun!
It's almost time! Viz Cup 2 starts Tuesday, May 20th at 6pm!Rules
* You must RSVP in order to be allowed inside. You can arrive between 5pm and 6pm. DOORS CLOSE AT 6pm, so be on time!
* If you show up to Viz Cup, you have to participate! No fans, mascots or cheering sections please
* You must bring your own computer and software. None will be provided!
* You'll have exactly 1 hour to create a data visualization
* You can enter as an individual or as a team. No need to pre-register teams, just do it
* You must use at least 1 of the provided data sets. Data sets are provided for review 3 days prior to the competition
* You can use any data visualization tool you'd like, but the end results must be interactive in some way
* You have 60 seconds to present your case for why your data visualization is awesome
* A panel of 3 independent judges will declare the top 3 winnersData Sets
: DOWNLOAD HERE -> http://bit.ly/vizcup2
Quantified Self (this data has been donated with permission from various members of the Facebook Data Viz team)
- Fitbit - Steps, stairs, sleep patterns & more
- Foursquare - Location checkins
- Driving Stats - Stats from Automatic, a device that tracks your driving patterns
- Brew Crawl - Pay once, drink often! Follow along through one helluva night!
- Run Keeper - Exercise data with running, walking and marathons with gps map data
- Climate Change - How has the climate changed?
- Meteorites - Meteorite landings all over the world
- Mass Shootings - Stats around shootings in the US
- NBA MVPs - Details about every NBA MVP winner
- NFL Draft - Every draft pick from 1936-2013 and how their careers turned out
Data Set Rules:
* YOU MAY
- study the data, practice, make a plan, show up knowing what you're going to build (we hope you do this, it'll improve your quality!)
- modify the structure of the data by pivoting, renaming or cleaning and bringing these changes with you
- bring additional complementary data (for example, maybe you want to add some Weather data), but the primary data of your viz must be at least one of the provided data sets
- bring art assets (graphics, videos, sounds) with you
* YOU MAY NOT
- bring any visual component (other than art assets) or code. ALL viz pieces must be built during the 1 hour competition
- bring your own data set and not use one of the provided ones
* email email@example.com if you’d like to get access to a shuttle from the Palo Alto CalTrain stop to Facebook Campus. You MUST contact Marissa by the end of the day on Monday, May 19th in order to be able to take the shuttle.
* Finger food and drinks will be available throughout the event
* Everyone who attends will receive a special Facebook Viz Cup mug
* Everyone who presents their work will receive a special Facebook Data Viz T-Shirt
* The top 3 winners will receive a copy of Now You See It by Stephen Few (1 per team), a Gift Card to a retail store (1 per team), lunch and tour of Facebook campus at a later date with the Data Viz Team, and maybe some other random swag goodies
- 5pm - doors open at Building 10
- 6pm - kickoff / rules / intro
- 6:15pm - START!
- 7:15pm - STOP!
- 7:30pm - Presentations
- 8:30pm - Winners
Like us on Facebook